Re: [Way off topic] the politics of ubuntu.org

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 09:22 -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
--snip--
> The difference is this:
>
> 1.  Muslims who commit terrorist acts do so in *compliance* with the
> teachings of Mohammed and Islam.
> 2.  Christians who commit terrorist acts are in direct opposition to
> the Bible and the Word of God.

I've read through the English text of the Quran 3 times, and while I've
always heard that it's not the same as reading it in the original Arabic
I would imagine that the difference in translation would not be great
enough to leave out the bit about killing innocents.

People will often scan through a single passage and think that it
implies that it's ok to kill anyone who is a heathen. But the Quran
specifically states that only those who would attack you, persecute you,
or drive you from your homes are to be killed.

"And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence
they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do
not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in
it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of
the unbelievers."

And I would add that the Islamic world has never done anything on the
order of the Crusades... those carried out by so called God-fearing men
who respect the bible.

War mongers are war mongers regardless of which religion they practice
and should be treated as such.

p.s. Just for the record, I am not a Muslim. I'm a very happy atheist
who disbelieves in God and Allah equally among all the other deities out
there.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837