Re: [Way off topic] the politics of ubuntu.org

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 09:02 +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 03:42:09PM -0500, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> > I don't have any idea what Shuttleworth's politics are, but he
> > obviously does not hesitate to associate himself  -- even if "only"
> > semantically -- with so-called revolutionary movements known for their
> > terrorist agendas.
>
> In what way does "ubuntu.org" have a terrorist agenda?
> Or does pacifist equate to terrorist in your dictionary?

Well, no, but they can be just as damaging (in different ways,
of course):

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to
humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer."
Theodore Roosevelt

"You are wrong in thinking that I dislike wholehearted pacifism,
though I do think it mistaken. What I object to is the circumspect
kind of pacifism which denounces one kind of violence while
endorsing or avoiding mention of another."
George Orwell, 1944, in correspondence with a British pacifist

"Pacifists are people who haven't faced the unpleasant facts of
life, either economically or politically; if they did face those
facts, they wouldn't be pacifists for long."
George Orwell

"Rightly hating violence, [pacifists] do not wish to recognise
that it is integral to modern society and that their own fine
feelings and noble attitudes are all the fruit of injustice
backed up by force. They do not want to learn where their
incomes come from."
George Orwell

"One sword keeps another in the sheath."
George Herbert

"Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions."
Dag Hammarskjold

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of
vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."
Dean William R Inge

"Peace is normally a great good, and normally it coincides with
righteousness, but it is righteousness and not peace which should
bind the conscience of a nation as it should bind the conscience
of an individual; and neither a nation nor an individual can
surrender conscience to another's keeping."
Theodore Roosevelt

"That doctrine of peace at any price has done more mischief than
any I can well recall that have been afloat in this country. It has
occasioned more wars than any of the most ruthless conquerors. It
has disturbed and nearly destroyed that political equilibrium so
necessary to the liberties and the welfare of the world."
Benjamin Disraeli

"There is no shadow of protection to be had by sheltering behind
the slender stockades of visionary speculation, or by hiding behind
the wagon-wheels of pacific theories."
Madame Chiang Kai-Shek

Of course, there are just as many pro-pacifism quotes.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Universal peace sounds ridiculous to the head of an average
family."
Kin Hubbard