Windows vs Linux Functionality?

Let me hasten to say this is not, as the subject line might seem to imply, a Linux-bashing question.

I'm considering moving from Windows XP to some form of Linux, most likely debian. I'd like to know beforehand, what functionality I'll lose when moving from Windows to debian. For instance, point-and-click ease-of-use in installing applications. Another example: multimedia, such as playing MP3 audio files or downloading pictures from my digital camera.

I like the 'back-end' stability that Linux has, but question whether that stability will be negated by a more difficult user interface, or lack thereof. Windows users poo-poo Linux while fans of Linux complain Windows is straight from h*ll -- isn't there a middle-ground truth? Thanks.

Ed