Re: Windows vs Linux Functionality?

Ed Sutherland wrote:
Let me hasten to say this is not, as the subject line might seem to
imply, a Linux-bashing question.

I'm considering moving from Windows XP to some form of Linux, most
likely debian. I'd like to know beforehand, what functionality I'll lose
when moving from Windows to debian. For instance, point-and-click
ease-of-use in installing applications. Another example: multimedia,
such as playing MP3 audio files or downloading pictures from my digital
camera.

There are plenty of point-and-click tools.  The main thing is that you
need to educate yourself on the choices and then choose one.  As far as
multimedia, there are plenty of options.  Personally I use xine and
get the w32-codecs package from Marillat, but others prefer mplayer or
any of the other number of available front ends.

Downloading pictures from a digital camera is much easier than in
Windows.  To start with, there is no need to install extra software.
You simply plug in your camera and if it is recognized (by a program
like gPhoto), it will Just Work(TM) and you will be able to copy
directly to and from the camera just as though it were any other mass
storage device attached to your machine.

As far as installing applications, with programs like synaptic (GUI
point-and-click) and aptitude (console-based, but still very easy to
use) it is simply a matter of choosing your new application, and
telling it to go.  The debian archive has more than 14,000 packages
now.  It will probably take you a while to discover what all of them
are and you will likely only ever use a small fraction of them, but
almost every available and commonly used free software program is
already packaged for Debian.  If the event that you find one that is
not, or you have non-free program that you buy (like VMWare or Matlab),
you can use the great program called checkinstall to manage your
installation of programs that are not natively part of Debian.  This
allows you install programs and not worry about any difficulty in
uninstalling them later.  This is one program I sure wish I knew
about when I was a newbie.

Incidentally, if you are going to use Java (by installing a Sun or
IBM JRE or JDK) then I highly recommend that you look at java-package.
That is a neat little utility that will take the binary install
package from Sun or IBM and Debian-ize it on the fly so that your
Java installation can be managed like the rest of your Debian installed
programs.

I like the 'back-end' stability that Linux has, but question whether
that stability will be negated by a more difficult user interface, or
lack thereof. Windows users poo-poo Linux while fans of Linux complain
Windows is straight from h*ll -- isn't there a middle-ground truth? Thanks.

Much of it has to do with choice.  That is Linux's greatest advantage
over most any other OS.  The variety of choice.  Naturallym some
people dislike it.  Like when someone spends 30 years in prison, a
return to free society seems to overwhelm them with choices at every
turn.  In Windows-land many things are forced on the user with no easy
avenue for change.  In Linux-land everything is your choice.  If you
are having trouble choosing, then Google or post here on the list and
I'm sure that you will receive plenty of replies from people on all
sides of any particular choice.  Such as, which text editor is best
(vim, of course) or which window manager is the slickest (naturally
it is WindowMaker), and so on.

I know I have sort of flooded your request with lots of info, but I
hope you find it helpful.

Regards,

-Roberto Sanchez