Re: Windows vs Linux Functionality?

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 18:40 -0500, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> Let me hasten to say this is not, as the subject line might seem to
> imply, a Linux-bashing question.
>
> I'm considering moving from Windows XP to some form of Linux, most
> likely debian. I'd like to know beforehand, what functionality I'll lose
> when moving from Windows to debian. For instance, point-and-click
> ease-of-use in installing applications. Another example: multimedia,
> such as playing MP3 audio files or downloading pictures from my digital
> camera.
>
> I like the 'back-end' stability that Linux has, but question whether
> that stability will be negated by a more difficult user interface, or
> lack thereof. Windows users poo-poo Linux while fans of Linux complain
> Windows is straight from h*ll -- isn't there a middle-ground truth? Thanks.

The thing is that Windows and Linux are *different*.  Thus, things
will not always be the same between the 2 systems.

There *are* ways to do GUI install, but not all s/w can be installed
point-and-click, and some s/w needs the command line to start, and
then does point-and-click for the rest of the installation.

You *will* have to get more familiar with the CLI (within "Command
Windows"), but That's OK.  It Won't Kill You.

The multimedia stuff does pretty well with some extra s/w, and I
am able to just plug my camera into the USB port, turn it on and,
in a moment, a dialog box asks me if I want to xfer any images
over.

You *will* have to get more familiar with the CLI (within "Command
Windows"), but That's OK.  It Won't Kill You.

For a fresh-from-Windows newbie, try Ubuntu Linux.  It's derived
from Debian, and is pointed at the Desktop.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more than
one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.