Re: Configuring sound in Sarge

In gmane.linux.debian.user, you wrote:

> Hi.  I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I don't see any
> replies, so I'll say a couple of things that may be useful.

This is the first reply to my query.

However, by experimenting with a solution suggested by Andreas Janssen
to a similar query, I succeeded in getting output that is more to the
point - see my follow-up posting for the details.

> P.S.  Just so you know, your email to the list is coming out with a
> "Reply-To:" header with your address on it.  As a result, if someone
> replies to your message and is not careful, it'll go directly to you
> rather than to the list.

I have difficulties with the problem and am unclear if it needs a remedy.

I am not a member of the list because my internet connection is far
too slow to download the full texts of 150+ emails per day, most of
which are on topics well beyond my understanding.

Instead, I post to the list via "gmane.linux.debian.user" and download
only the headers of all the postings to the list in the first instance.
>From these I flag the bodies of postings for a subsequent download.

Both my "From:" address and my "Reply-To: are supposed to be gmane
addresses and encrypted; only gmane is supposed to know my real
addresses and gmane does not accept postings that do not have a valid
<From: | Reply-To:> entry.

I am grateful for the advice and will seek to remedy it - if it turns
out that things are not working as they should.

Felix Karpfen

PS: After sleeping on the above reply, the penny dropped.

    My email-reader can be (and is) configured to distinguish between
    emails from lists and personal emails.  And it asks if the reply
    is supposed to go to the list or the person.

    I appreciate that people who use other email readers may not be
    so fortunate.  But, as explained above, there is little I can do
    about that.

--

Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)