Re: cdrecord in 2.6.9 (vanilla vs debian kernel package)

H. S. wrote:

I have this odd situation. I am running 2.6.9 in Sarge which I compiled by downloading the 2.6.9 kernel source from kernel.org since Sarge doesn't have this as a package yet. In this kernel, I am not able to use the cdrecord to burn CD's and K3b does not see my cdwriter as a write but as a reader. This is most probably related to infamous cdrecord problem in 2.6.8 (and 9?). And in this Sarge machine, I have:
ii  cdrecord     2.0+a34-2  command line CD writing tool
ii  k3b          0.11.12-1  A sophisticated KDE cd burning application

I tried the same situation, compiling kernel 2.6.9 inside sarge. And I could no longer burn a CD or a DVD (cd was not recognized as a writer , DVD was recognized as writer, but produced an error after partially writing a Data DVD, or refused to start brning an ISO image). I switched back to version 2.6.7 of the kernel and could burn again without any problem. Probably a bug in kernel 2.6.9.

Yves Grenier