Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Ron Johnson wrote on 2004-12-16 18:20:
IMO, anything that is likely to bring in, or take out data (inc.
binaries) needs to be authorized and authenticated. Linux is no
exception.

Here, Linux is at an advantage, since if "IT" doesn't want lusers
to to able to use thumb drives, iPods, external USB/ieee1394 hard
drives, etc, then, well:
# rm /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko
# rm /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.ko
# apt-get --purge remove libgphoto2
etc, etc.

That looks like a mallet solution to me. I would like a little
more usable one than unplugging the thing all together ;-)

It's not that we won't want to let /them/ *ever* use such
devices, the imperative thing is who + where + when.

Keywords were 'authorized' and 'authenticated'...

Cheers,
Ray