Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:56:39 -0500, Christian Convey
<conveycj@npt.nuwc.navy.mil> wrote:

> And it really is the case that I've never happened to see a blue screen
> of death on my XP system.  I agree that old versions of Windows had this
> problem.  But I'm just comparing the most recent versions of Windows and
> Linux. (XP vs. Sarge/2.6.9/udev)

I think another problem (or issue) is that Linux (and not Sarge)
support dozen hardware platforms under the same kernel; developers
have to make things work under different scenarios and that is far
more difficult than making it to work under x86 only, like WinXXX
does.

Linux kernel support hardware architectures like (paste from $KERNEL/arch):
 alpha  cris   ia64  m68knommu  ppc    sh     sparc64  x86_64
 arm    h8300  m32r  mips       ppc64  sh64   um
 arm26  i386   m68k  parisc     s390   sparc  v850

and all this have to work well. That is not a child play!

Think of how long M$ took to support X86_64? Linux was there since the
beginning!

--
Mario O.de Menezes, Ph.D.     "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
LinuxUser: #24626         is the Lord's purpose that prevails" Pv 19.21