Re: Preserving directory sort order in mkisofs

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:26:42AM -0800, Jean Hoderd wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I am trying to create a CD where the file order
> in the directory list is the same as it was under
> the original ext3 partition.  However, mkisofs
> *always* sorts the entries alphabetically, alas!
>
> Is there any way to achieve what I intend?
> (please note that the -sort option in mkisofs
> only changes the order by which the files are
> arranged in the CD: the directory listing is
> still sorted alphabetically)

This indicates that you can't influence the way in which the directory
is listed through changing anything in mkisofs.

How the files are listed is purely determined by the program you use
for listing that info, so ls, mc, krusader, even firefox or whatever
you use for that.

`ls' has lots of sorting options. By default it sorts the files
alphabetically, which I guess is what most programs do. You may want
to use `ls -U' to list the files in the order they appear in the
directory. Or look at the man page for ls for more sorting options.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill