Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Hi guys,

Recently I've spent a lot of time digging through udev / hotplug issues, getting to know modprobe, modules.conf, alsaconf, XF86Config-4 etc. This was all to get a digicam and a flashdrive to be useful, or to make sound/video work.

As much as I like Linux and its ideals, I thought to myself, "I've never had to deal with issues like these in Windows. I buy a product, plug it in, and almost always, it just works."

I'd really like to advocate Linux more to friends and family, but I just don't feel like I can recommend the OS to non-techies until dealing with hardware gets easier.

Do you guys have any reflections on why, for technical / social / market / whatever reasons, this difference exists between the two OS's exists? And are those differences necessary or accidental?

Thanks,
Christian

--
Christian Convey