Re: X.org <-----> Xfree

At 13 Dec 2004 17:49:06 -0500,
Johan Kullstam wrote:

> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > At 12 Dec 2004 16:08:07 -0500,
> > Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > I am having trouble understanding the relevance of your comment to my
> > > post.  You deleted most of it such that it is impossible to figure out
> > > the context so I will repeat once more, slowly,
> > >
> > > MY HARDWARE ISN'T SUPPORTED BY XFREE86 BUT IT IS BY XORG.  THIS IS WHY
> > > I NEED XORG.
> > >

> > No need to shout :-)
>
> Well, *you* are able to read and take input, but there are a few who
> have preconceived notions and are unwilling to countenance that they
> might be mistaken.  Hence, I am not sure about lack of need to shout
> for some people.
>
> > Anyway, are you sure that your hardware isn't supported with the
> > latest dri code (which can be compiled for xfree and there is a
> > debian package for it).
>
> DRI as in the kernel support for various chipset accelerations?  I am
> not trying to get faster 3D support or support any fancy rendering.
> I am simply trying to have working 2D.

I was meaning dri as in dri.sf.net. There are debian packages and you will need
to build the dri kernel modules. I don't know if it will be any help but maybe
its worth the try. Otherwise I heard that there are packages for X.Org pointed
to from www.apt-get.org or of course you could get binaries and either install
directly or try alien, or you could try compiling from source (it will cause
major headaches with dependencies though).

for the dri packages:

add the following to sources.list

deb http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./
deb-src http://www.nixnuts.net/files/ ./

The apt-get line you need to install everything is:

apt-get -u install drm-trunk-module-src xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk

After that is installed you need to build the kernel modules:

cd /usr/src
tar -xzf drm-trunk.tar.gz
cd <kernel source directory>
cp /boot/config-<kernel version> ./.config
make-kpkg --append-to-version <version string> modules_image
dpkg -i ../drm-trunk-module-<version>.deb