Re: X.org <-----> Xfree

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 17:08 +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
>  --- Johan Kullstam <kullstj-ml@comcast.net> wrote:
> > for it.  Look up debian and ibm thinkpad t42 2378fvu sometime.
>
> I find it more interesting that because of the Xorg/XFree86 issue, more
> and more people are saying that they *do* need Xorg, just because it is
> available. I bet you, you'd have made do quite happily with XFree86. :P

For the record, this is not always true, and is somewhat exacerbated by
the fact that (IIRC) Debian must stick with the last DFSG-compatible
release of XFree86.  I have (an admittedly bleeding edge) system with a
PCIE card that XFree86 (at least the version in Sid) does not support in
any way.  I am an edge case.... for now. :)  (Don't misinterpret me; I
am *not* suggesting that x.org can or should be in Sarge..)

At the time, I installed x.org from source; the post (and accompanying
comments) below has some helpful advice about how to do this on Debian.
http://incubator.vislab.usyd.edu.au/roller/page/Steve/20040909#installing_a_non_intrusive_x

I haven't checked apt-get.org (in a few months, at least).. you might
have some luck there..

> -- Thomas Adam
>
> =====
> "The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
> "TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net
>
> "<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish
> you for all of them at once when you get better. The
> experience will probably kill you. :)"
>
>  -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

> Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger
> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

mb