Re: X.org <-----> Xfree

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 18:49 -0500, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> Hanspeter Kunz <hkunz@ailab.ch> writes:
>
> > Hi Johan,
> >
> > > I am using the radeon driver supplied with xfree86 4.3 in debian/sid.
> > > I can set the display to 1400x1050 but there is a band about an inch
> > > or so (roughly 100-200 pixels in width) along the rightmost edge where
> > > the picture is distorted by odd shadings.
> >
> > On my Sony Z1, radeon card, xfree is running on 1400x1050 without
> > problems.
>
> >From XFree86.0.log, it seems I am using
> "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
>
> The laptop specs call it an ATI Radeon 9600.
>
> Is this the same video as you have?  Going to google, I see
> referrences to M6.

That's true, my machine has ATI Radeon M6 LY. But I installed sid on a
SONY S1HP (for a friend) recently, which has the ATI Radeon 9600. It
runs with a even more esotheric resolution at 1280x800. There is no
reason why it shouldn't run at 1400x1050.

> Would you care to share some more details about how you got it to
> work?
I send you my xconfig for the SONY Z1 (configured for internal and
external display) so you can pick out the relevant bits, if your xconfig
is the problem.

In case there is a kernel issue: On the SONY S1HP I used the stock
Debian 2.6.9 kernel. (I cannot send you the xconfig from that machine
right now, but th xconfig shouldn't be different. As far as I remember
there is not specific 9600 stuff in it.)

Hm, you mention artefacts on the screen. Do you run the XFree on the
framebuffer? If yes, try the "ati" driver instead.

cheers,
Hp.
--
Hanspeter Kunz                  Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student                   Department of Information Technology

Spamtraps: hkunz.bogus@ailab.ch hkunz.bogus@ifi.unizh.ch
---
You can't break eggs without making an omelet.
### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
#
# To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# as root.  Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
# XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"xtrap"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de_CH"
	Option		"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"GlidePointPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"LCD Video Card"
	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Screen	0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"VGA Video Card"
	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Screen	1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"LCD Monitor"
	HorizSync	30-94
	VertRefresh	50-75
	Option		"DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"VGA Monitor"
	HorizSync	30-60
	VertRefresh	50-75
	Option		"CRTScreen" "true"
	Option		"DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"LCD Screen"
	Device		"LCD Video Card"
	Monitor		"LCD Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1400x1050"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"VGA Screen"
	Device		"VGA Video Card"
	Monitor		"VGA Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen	0	"LCD Screen"
	Screen	1	"VGA Screen" RightOf "LCD Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
EndSection