Re: X.org <-----> Xfree

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> At 12 Dec 2004 16:08:07 -0500,
> Johan Kullstam wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> writes:

> > > I find it more interesting that because of the Xorg/XFree86 issue, more
> > > and more people are saying that they *do* need Xorg, just because it is
> > > available.
> >
> > I am having trouble understanding the relevance of your comment to my
> > post.  You deleted most of it such that it is impossible to figure out
> > the context so I will repeat once more, slowly,
> >
> > MY HARDWARE ISN'T SUPPORTED BY XFREE86 BUT IT IS BY XORG.  THIS IS WHY
> > I NEED XORG.
> >

> No need to shout :-)

Well, *you* are able to read and take input, but there are a few who
have preconceived notions and are unwilling to countenance that they
might be mistaken.  Hence, I am not sure about lack of need to shout
for some people.

> Anyway, are you sure that your hardware isn't supported with the
> latest dri code (which can be compiled for xfree and there is a
> debian package for it).

DRI as in the kernel support for various chipset accelerations?  I am
not trying to get faster 3D support or support any fancy rendering.
I am simply trying to have working 2D.

I am using the radeon driver supplied with xfree86 4.3 in debian/sid.
I can set the display to 1400x1050 but there is a band about an inch
or so (roughly 100-200 pixels in width) along the rightmost edge where
the picture is distorted by odd shadings.

--
Johan KULLSTAM