Re: visual c++ equivalent

Micha Feigin wrote:

At Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:17:17 -0600,
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Kevin Mark wrote:
On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:51:19PM +0800, ms linux wrote:

is there a free visual c++ equivalent in linux ?
searching so far I only found IBM XLC, but of course,
it's not free.

thanks,

--me--

Hi MS,
well there are 3 things that make up vc++ from my perspective:
a)c++ language
b)gui toolkit
c)debugging/ide tool
point a is covered by the gcc collection (c,c++,fortran,...)
point b is covered by any toolkit (gdk,tk,qt,...)
point c can be covered by eclipse,gdb, and many others.
-Kev
Absolutely. Nothing beats plain gcc and Qt with gdb. I bought visual c++ in 1994. Was it a mess. It brought on the move to Linux.

And if you are interested even Microsoft themselves don't use visual. The whole
tool chain for windows is command line (I think it is proprietary though).

Scary... when Microsoft shys away from using their own product.......
But I suppose the real power in M$'s development platform is in the .NET classes, which are all just as accessible from the command-line compiler as the "F5" button in Visual Studio ;-).
          Cheerio,
              SigmaChi