Re: Debian retail kit?

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thursday 09 December 2004 5:44 pm, you wrote:
>
> > i'd throw in slackware/redhat/fedora into that same pot, and remove
> > lindows in our supported "pot-o-linux"
>
> The idea is to gain happy users, not scare them off from Linux
> permanently with RPM hell.

yup..
	- "all" package mangers is "hell" in one form or another ...

the best way to satisfy their needs is to give um what they say or
think they want and for which they have real $$$ associated with
a proper set of expectations for that budget ...
	-
	- it is pointless to convince um xxx is better than yyy
	-

every distro has it's advantage and disadvantages and is a constantly
changing enviroment of which is "better" for a particular purpose/reason

> Well, our second most common question is, "If it's all free, why are you
> selling it?"

you get that too eh ??

we say, here's the "free part", go play, have fun and come back later
	- iso, including the mailing lists, newsgroups, websites, etc

	and if they have questions, we charge for support of various
	flavors.. ( hard to do politely, when they have gazillion
	basic questions )

it's nicer to get calls with we want a server and our budget is $xx,xxx
to get "it" built/hardened/deployed/..blah..blah..
	eg.. trying to get a 120 node system negotiated/closed right now

c ya
alvin