Re: visual c++ equivalent

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:54:49PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> And if you are interested even Microsoft themselves don't use visual. The whole
> tool chain for windows is command line (I think it is proprietary though).

I worked there.  They use the Microsoft C++ compiler, a whole bunch of
perl scripts, and a fork of a commercial command-line source control
program (I've forgotten the company) that they develop separately called
Source Depot.

Mostly they are doing kernel-level debugging so they use KDB.
They use a fork of the Visual Studio editor with basically just
DevEnv.exe and the graphical debugging support, and use that sometimes.
They definitely don't use Visual C++ projects.

Last time I knew about it they were using something called the "Combo
Platter", with the Visual Studio 7.1 DevEnv.exe and the Whidbey
compilers.

But, you're right, they definitely don't build Windows using the tools
the way they tell you to use them.  It's all very much closer to the
Unix way of doing things -- all command line driven.  It's considered
stupid if you have to run a setup.exe to install a developer tool.  All
the build scripts and whatever you just xcopy them and set up things in
the path.