Nightstand Terminal

Once again, the biggest problem is getting you guys to be
verbose ;-)

Does anybody have experience with the following?

1) A smaller cheaper box, perhaps a stand alone box that takes
smaller and slower laptop parts?

2) What about serial terminals?  The new ones are $400 at CDW.com,
but I see that you can get refurbised ones at $20 on ebay?  Any
ideas on finding companies that are throwing these out?  Is the
money savings worth not being able to use xfree86 remotely in
your own network?  At $400 for a new one, perhaps I should buy
my girl a Dell, and take her old 386 and begin hacking that?

3) Since an old laptop is a possible solution based on it's size,
any reccommended sources for purchasing used laptops that are
known to be able to run Woody?!

4) What about crossover cable vs actually using a switch for
a two computer network?

Thanks for any input!
---
Scotty