Re: Nightstand Terminal

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 06:54 -0500, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> Once again, the biggest problem is getting you guys to be
> verbose ;-)
>
> Does anybody have experience with the following?
>
> 1) A smaller cheaper box, perhaps a stand alone box that takes
> smaller and slower laptop parts?

If I were you, I'd look into a LCD Screen with an X-terminal built-in.
Or an LCD X-Term.

> 2) What about serial terminals?  The new ones are $400 at CDW.com,
> but I see that you can get refurbised ones at $20 on ebay?  Any
> ideas on finding companies that are throwing these out?  Is the
> money savings worth not being able to use xfree86 remotely in
> your own network?  At $400 for a new one, perhaps I should buy
> my girl a Dell, and take her old 386 and begin hacking that?

Not even really worth the effort. Plain old... OMFG. Get her an XTerm
too and then use a switch, enable XDMCP logins on your Linux machine.
You'll get a graphical login for your X-terms. Ebay has some too.

> 3) Since an old laptop is a possible solution based on it's size,
> any reccommended sources for purchasing used laptops that are
> known to be able to run Woody?!

Don't. Not really worth the effort. The cost would be the same for the
X-Terminal.

> 4) What about crossover cable vs actually using a switch for
> a two computer network?

Yes. The X-OVR cable would be the cheapest method. Sufficient as well,
as only 2 device are on the segment collisions are *HIGHLY* unlikely as
they only talk to each other. This though severely limits your
connectivity for multiple users.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is