Re: xprint - why?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:19:33PM -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:28:40 +0100
> Martin Lorenz <martin@lorenz.eu.org> wrote:

[...]
> > did you (or anyone else) experience problems when printing pages which
> > contain non-latin-1 characters like this one:
> > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%9Ftheorie
> >
> > i installed xprint only because i diden't get the greek font on my
> > printout otherwise but it broke printing in some really odd manner.
> > now galeon (which is my primary browser) refuses to print more than
> > the first page.
>
> hmm... I can't read the page, but it seemed to print fine for me in both
> Firefox (1.0 from Mozilla.org) and Mozilla-browser (1.7.3-5 from Sarge).
> I didn't see any distorted characters and it printed a total of three
> pages, though the third was just the notice about the GNU Free
> Documentation License.
>
> Both prints were done using the Postscript/default option, not xprt.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know what packages I have installed that would
> affect this, since I rarely use anything other than English characters
> in my e-mail and web browsing.

hmmm...

i tried quite some hack with fonts and other stuff until i ran across
the notice, that xprt would fix my problem.

actually the printed page looks fine, but the greek characters are
simply missing in the printout, which basicly makes it worthless.

now that i have xprt the greek characters get printed but i experience
some other problems, so i might go for
purging the whole of it and galeon as well and try again

i would greatly appreciate any hints

currently i run sarge and use cups/foomatic for printing.

btw: finding fonts for the various purposes still is a miracle to me.
i usually install all postscript/ttf/X/etc. fonts that i can find, but
this habit eats up huge amounts of disk space, which i don't have on
e.g. my laptop. and i am not sure if all sorts of fonts i have installed are
really usd by some subsystem.

thanks
mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

            They that can give up essential liberty
	    to obtain a little temporary safety
	    deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                   Benjamin Franklin

Microsoft, I think, is fundamentally an evil company.
 - JAMES H. CLARK

*** NEW PUBLIC KEY ***
my gpg-key ID: F1AAD37D
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF1AAD37D