Re: xprint - why?

* Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> [2004 Nov 23 06:12 -0600]:
> Anyway, if someone could explain or point me to a document or thread
> (which I couldn't find) that explains why we need xprint, how it fits
> in, and what programs it replaces, I'd appreciate it.
>
> I'm probably not alone ;-).

There was a long thread about this a few months back.  After reading it
and the bug reports the only technical reason that I read was that xprt
did a better job printing glyphs from other languages than the FF/Moz
default PS engine.  After that it seemed to be mostly an anti-north
american bias by the Firefox maintainer.  I don't wish to start a flame
war, but that was my impression after reading the whole thing.

I avoided the whole thing by using the mozilla.org built binaries which
don't use xprt.  Since I had gotten CUPS and my printers working
flawlessly a scant few weeks before the whole xprt thing blew up, I was
glad, for once, that I wasn't using the Debian packages for these apps.
Since they still depend on xprt I've continued to use the mozilla.org
packages.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of