xprint - why?

Can someone please explain why we need xprint? Yeah, I'm frustrated that
a recent update broke my printing, but I'm using Sarge so I accept
change. In this case, I don't understand it.

Xprint seems to duplicate some of what we already have. Is it supposed
to be the new, shiny car on the block to replace the old Edsel, much as
CUPS replaced the Berkeley print systems of yore.

For example, I've got CUPS for spooling, foomatic to create the ppd
files, hpijs for the HP print drivers, and hpoj to talk to them. How
does xprint fit in? Does it replace any of this?

I certainly can't answer these questions myself. Here's why.

If I choose the Default printer from the Galeon print dialog (thanks
arodriguez31), it seems to bypass xprint and go straight to CUPS, so
xprint seems to be a replacement for CUPS. But bug 280159 talks about
changing the default resolution but this stuff is in the PPD files so
now xprint seems like a replacement for foomatic (although it seems to
me that this is the job of hpijs in any case). Maybe it replaces both
CUPS and foomatic?

Anyway, if someone could explain or point me to a document or thread
(which I couldn't find) that explains why we need xprint, how it fits
in, and what programs it replaces, I'd appreciate it.

I'm probably not alone ;-).