Install Debian on its own slave 80bg drive on Win2kPro Dell

Thank you in advance for your help. I am experienced with
C/C++ on the WinAPI and computers in general, but I am brand
new to Linux / Debian.

My current system is configured as follows:

Dell Dimension XPS T600 (PIII/600mhz)
640mb ram
wireless keyboard, USB optical mouse
USB Konica Minolta PagePro 1350w USB printer
12gb master NTFS hd w/5gb free -- boots Win2kPro SP4
DSL Wireless network: aforementioned tower, and NEC Versa
6230 laptop running Win2kPro SP4

I just installed an 80gb hd as a slave into the tower. It is
not yet formatted. The bios only recognizes 65gb unless I
run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools to make the
full 80gb accessible by DOS and/or Windows. I have not yet
done anything to this new 80gb hd.

I want to install Debian on the 80gb hd, and have a dual
boot on the tower:
[1]  Win2kPro on existing NTFS 12gb hd master
[2]  Debian on new 80gb hd slave

This is my first step towards a complete migration to Linux
/ Apache.

Questions:

1. Should I use the Western Digital supplied tools to format
the new 80gb hd before installing Debian, or is there a Unix
tool I should use instead? I would like this new 80gb Linux
hd to also be accessible from the tower master Win2kPro, and
across the wireless network from the laptop Win2kPro.

2. Is there anything else I should do before inserting my
Debian installation CD, and installing to this new hd. I
downloaded the ISO and burned my own CD.

I have read the docs, but did not find a "How to install
Debian on a new hard drive slaved to an existing Win2kPro
master NTFS, and make it a dual boot machine."

I know. I want everything spelled out in detail with pretty
pictures, and a link to some fun comics. I realize that this
is being difficult, but I am currently under-caffeinated.
Any assistance you can lend this newbie is much appreciated.

Guy Koehler

Rivendell Ranch
Humptulips, WA 98552
http://home.centurytel.net/rivendellranch