Re: drivers for Intel ethernet card -> initrd

mmm I don't seem to have a /initrd.img nor a /boot/*initrd* file (with the default woody installation linuz-2.4.18-bf2.4) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas G. Phillips" <csdgp@eiu.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: drivers for Intel ethernet card -> initrd

linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk writes:

I've got a more recent kernel from backports and am currently struggling
to install that. When I dun `dpkg -i <kernel.deb` it complained about
missing `mkinitrd` and no "initrd" in my LILO. I've used `apt-get` to sort
out the first issue but not sure what value to give "initrd=" in my
LILO... presumably the current kernel image (vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4)?

For lilo, you would have something like this (copied from one of my servers):
image=/vmlinuz
 label=linux
 initrd=/initrd.img

/vmlinuz and /initrd.img are symlinks to the actual kernel and initrd files
in /boot.

I am beginning to wonder whether just going to 'sarge', even for this
server, might be the best route after all...
I've upgraded most of my servers to sarge with no problems at all - quite
stable with no problems.  However, that's just what we decided to do here...

--
Douglas G. Phillips
Distributed Computing         Information Technology Services