Re: drivers for Intel ethernet card -> initrd

linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk writes:

> I've got a more recent kernel from backports and am currently struggling
> to install that. When I dun `dpkg -i <kernel.deb` it complained about
> missing `mkinitrd` and no "initrd" in my LILO. I've used `apt-get` to sort
> out the first issue but not sure what value to give "initrd=" in my
> LILO... presumably the current kernel image (vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4)?

For lilo, you would have something like this (copied from one of my servers):
image=/vmlinuz
  label=linux
  initrd=/initrd.img

/vmlinuz and /initrd.img are symlinks to the actual kernel and initrd files
in /boot.

> I am beginning to wonder whether just going to 'sarge', even for this
> server, might be the best route after all...
I've upgraded most of my servers to sarge with no problems at all - quite
stable with no problems.  However, that's just what we decided to do here...

--
Douglas G. Phillips
Distributed Computing         Information Technology Services