Re: drivers for Intel ethernet card

But without an internet connection on said computer (unless i boot it into WinXP) how can I get the driver/module and load on to it? eg is it poss to d/load this separately?

thanks, Michael

At 19:20 10/11/2004, you wrote:

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:45:07PM -0000, linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk wrote:
> I've just installed the base "woody" kernel on my Xeon box but there seems
> to be no network connectivity. I have a Intel Pro/1000 MT Network
> Connection -- do I need a particular driver for that? Then I presume it's
> something like ipconfig?

As someone else mentioned, you are looking for the e1000 driver, which
was not included in the latest kernel in woody (I think 2.4.18 or
somewhere around there).  The e1000 module is available in 2.4.21 and
later.

I ran into the same issue with a Dell PowerEdge 600SC that I have.  I
ended up downloading the kernel-image for 2.4.21, copying it over to the
machine, and manually installing dependencies from sarge.  If I were
going to do it again, I would probably just install straight from sarge.

HTH,

Jeremy