How do I know what sound system I'm using?

I'm trying to sort out an arts problem (which is that I can't get it to listen to my sound card's line in). I'm thinking it's a mixer problem.

I'm using whatever sound system the sarge install gave me, but how do I know what it is?

- kmix says it's using OSS.
- the KDE Info center says I'm using ALSAv1.0.4 emulation mode
- lsmod says I've got snd_mixer_oss loaded, but I think that's an alsa module.

So I think I've got alsa, but I'm afraid to install alsa-utils in case I break something.

/icebiker