Using more than one driver for a laser printer?

I have a Brother HL1450 laser printer on my parallel port.  I used to
use the Postscript driver but had problems with some documents
overloading the printer's memory, so I switched to the hl1250 driver.
Unfortunately LaTeX/dvips output doesn't look as good now---I assume
this is because it is being converted from DVI to PS and then to
Brother.

So I'd like to know if there is any easy way to switch between them,
just for local printing.  I'm considering adding a second printer
to /etc/printcap with the same device (/dev/lp0) and other
specifications but a different driver, so I can use the lpr -P option
as necessary.  Is this idea good, bad or ugly?  Should I use the same
spool directory (subdirectory of /var/spool/lpd/)?

(I have the following packages installed: magicfilter, cupsys,
cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client, cupsys-driver-gimpprint,
cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, cupsys-pt.)

Thanks,
Adam