Re: Using more than one driver for a laser printer?

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 12:29:49PM -0800, Rich Rudnick wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 19:39 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
[...]
> > Thanks for that info.  As I said in another post in this thread,
> > modifying /etc/printcap alone didn't seem to have any effect---does my
> > lpr command (from the packages I listed above) use it at all or not?
> >
> No, CUPS doesn't use printcap, or at least it doesn't with the version
> in unstable.
>
> cupsys-bsd provides the lpr used with CUPS, which is a near replacement
> for for the bsd lpr. IIRC it is missing a few options and has a few of
> it's own, but I've never had any incompatibilities with programs
> expecting bsd's lpr. In other words, just use localhost:631/admin to
> define your printers, ignore /etc/printcap and everything should work as
> expected.

Rather than ignore it, I think it is better to link /etc/printcap to the
CUPS printcap file (/etc/printcap.cups by default IIRC), then applications
that try to use /etc/printcap will be using the correct one.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.