Re: Using more than one driver for a laser printer?

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 19:39 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 November 2004 18:40, Rich Rudnick wrote:
>
> >> (I have the following packages installed: magicfilter, cupsys,
> >> cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client, cupsys-driver-gimpprint,
> >> cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, cupsys-pt.)
> >>

> > For a long time now I've been using an HP940 on CUPS. Since the hpijs
> > and gimpprint drivers both have their pluses and minuses, I defined
> > two printers using localhost:631/admin, ijs and gimp, using the hpijs
> > and gimprint drivers respectively, both of which ultimately point
> > to /dev/lp0.  Thus, I can use lpr -P to select the driver I want to
> > use with the HP940. This has worked very well, the only gotcha being
> > whichever virtual printer I choose first (ijs or gimp) will completely
> > empty it's spool before printing the second spool. (This can be worked
> > around by holding the jobs on the first spool, CUPS will automatically
> > start the second spool).
>
> Thanks for that info.  As I said in another post in this thread,
> modifying /etc/printcap alone didn't seem to have any effect---does my
> lpr command (from the packages I listed above) use it at all or not?

No, CUPS doesn't use printcap, or at least it doesn't with the version
in unstable.

cupsys-bsd provides the lpr used with CUPS, which is a near replacement
for for the bsd lpr. IIRC it is missing a few options and has a few of
it's own, but I've never had any incompatibilities with programs
expecting bsd's lpr. In other words, just use localhost:631/admin to
define your printers, ignore /etc/printcap and everything should work as
expected.