Re: /dev/hdc? and changing drive letters

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:49:18 -0400, H. S. wrote:

> Apparently, _Jules Dubois_, on 30/10/04 00:21,typed:

It's just an unsubstantiated rumor.

>> IIRC, you'll have to reboot before step (3), because "e:" was already
>> in use before you began relettering.
>
> Good point! I have been reading about driver letter changing on google
> and just read that to make the changes take effect, I need to reboot.

The lettering changes should take place immediately; I don't remember
having to reboot just because I made some simple changes, like changing a
CD-ROM from "f:" to "z:".

> But I didn't realize that I would need to do the above step with a
> reboot before step 3.

If a drive letter is in use, you can assign the partition a different
letter.  The catch is that to assign another partition to that (original)
letter, you must reboot first.

That is, if I remember correctly.  In any case, Microsoft will tell you
what it requires you to do.

>> I have done it numerous times under Windows 2000.  If I were using
>> WinXP -- and fortunately, I'm not -- I would do it without hesitation,
>> but my opinion is not a guarantee of success.
>
> Thanks for your comments,

You're welcome.  Good luck.