Re: /dev/hdc? and changing drive letters

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:31:21 -0400, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On a given dual boot machine, Windowx XP and Debain (or any Linux for
> that matter) and booting using Grub, what effect would changing a drive
> letter in Windows have on the partition table, if any? I am just trying
> to verify it won't mess with my Debian installation. All I want to do is
> interchange D: and E: driver letters for two partitions (for sharing
> data between Windows and Linux in an inituitive way -- mainly for non
> techie users).

Afaik the ways to interchange "drive letters" in win32 is to
interchange the order of the drives as they are placed in the IDE bus,
or repartition the drive.

Effect on Linux -> device names would also change. This may have no
visible to really visible repercussions depending on how you had both
setup across partitions.

At any rate, win32 is slowly leaving the unscalable solution that is
drive letters to mount points that almost everybody else in the Unix
(or -like) world does.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com