Re: /dev/hdc? and changing drive letters

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:26:20 -0400, H. S. wrote:

> But when windows was started, I got:
> hdc2 as c:
> hdc3 as e:
> hdc5 as d:

I had

  hda1 as c:
  hda2 as o:
  hda3 as d:
  etc.

> I have
> found out how to change drive letters, I am thinking of doing:
>
> 1) make d: as z:
> 2) make e: as d:
> 3) make z: as e:

There's the problem of drive references stored in the registry, but as you
said, "hdc3 and hdc5 are still empty", this shouldn't be a problem for you.

IIRC, you'll have to reboot before step (3), because "e:" was already in
use before you began relettering.

> IF this will have absolutely no effect on the MBR or the partition table
> of the disk, I will do it right way.

The partition table, stored on (is it more correct to say near?) the
MBR doesn't really have anything to do with drive letters.  They are a
Windows fiction, as the is appearance of a unified tree with mounted
filesystems under Linux.

> That is all I want to confirm.

I have done it numerous times under Windows 2000.  If I were using WinXP
-- and fortunately, I'm not -- I would do it without hesitation, but my
opinion is not a guarantee of success.