Re: /dev/hdc? and changing drive letters

Apparently, _Paolo Alexis Falcone_, on 29/10/04 21:15,typed:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:31:21 -0400, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

On a given dual boot machine, Windowx XP and Debain (or any Linux for
that matter) and booting using Grub, what effect would changing a drive
letter in Windows have on the partition table, if any? I am just trying
to verify it won't mess with my Debian installation. All I want to do is
interchange D: and E: driver letters for two partitions (for sharing
data between Windows and Linux in an inituitive way -- mainly for non
techie users).

Afaik the ways to interchange "drive letters" in win32 is to
interchange the order of the drives as they are placed in the IDE bus,
or repartition the drive.

Effect on Linux -> device names would also change. This may have no
visible to really visible repercussions depending on how you had both
setup across partitions.

At any rate, win32 is slowly leaving the unscalable solution that is
drive letters to mount points that almost everybody else in the Unix
(or -like) world does.

The drive is alread partitioned (hdc). The partitioning was done to get:

hdc2 as c:
hdc3 as d:
hdc5 as e:
Rest of the partitions, till hdc12, are used by Debian.

But when windows was started, I got:
hdc2 as c:
hdc3 as e:
hdc5 as d:

hdc3 and hdc5 are still empty and haven't been used yet. I just want to interchange their letters in WinXP, make d: as e: and vice versa. I have found out how to change drive letters, I am thinking of doing:
1) make d: as z:
2) make e: as d:
3) make z: as e:

IF this will have absolutely no effect on the MBR or the partition table of the disk, I will do it right way. That is all I want to confirm.

->HS