Re: /dev/hdc? and changing drive letters

Apparently, _Jules Dubois_, on 30/10/04 00:21,typed:

I had
  hda1 as c:
  hda2 as o:
  hda3 as d:
  etc.

I have
found out how to change drive letters, I am thinking of doing:

1) make d: as z:
2) make e: as d:
3) make z: as e:

There's the problem of drive references stored in the registry, but as you
said, "hdc3 and hdc5 are still empty", this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Yes they are. I actually have to reformat them yet.

IIRC, you'll have to reboot before step (3), because "e:" was already in
use before you began relettering.

Good point! I have been reading about driver letter changing on google and just read that to make the changes take effect, I need to reboot. But I didn't realize that I would need to do the above step with a reboot before step 3.

I have done it numerous times under Windows 2000.  If I were using WinXP
-- and fortunately, I'm not -- I would do it without hesitation, but my
opinion is not a guarantee of success.

Thanks for your comments,
->HS