Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 23:05 -0400, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:12:40PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Floppy disk, CD-Rs & flash drives are a big step down from a multi-
> > dozen GB-sized HDD.
>
> He's testing it on HDs, but getting a lot of feedback about how fat and
> ReiserFs don't support sync, and if they did support sync it would be
> slow as the dickens.  There is a suggestion to use a "fastusb <command>"
> option which would transparently remount as async for the duration of a
> command, and remount sync when done [1].  As long as you don't yank
> during an async op, you shouldn't expect data loss.
>
> Pretty fascinating project -- just started 2 days ago.  Look at the
> "usbmount" thread on debian-mentors@l.d.o.
>
> [1] Pretty sure XPSP2 does somethin like this, async/sync hybrid with
> more aggressive flushes, when things "settle down."  You used to have to
> manually stop a mass storage device, bad things would happen if you
> didn't, but that's less true now.

Interesting.  I wonder if the same issues occur on/with firewire
drives (that's what I have).

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of
government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow
operations, perverted it into tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson