Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:45:48PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> ReiserFS expected it to be there, can't find it, and pukes.  A bit
> (no, a lot) ungraceful, but totally understandable.  After all,
> some process might be trying to write to the device...

I kuh-now, I kuh-now.  But that's what the SYNC option is before.
If I yank it within say 20 seconds of having used it, that's on me.

Windows actually deals with this better than it used to.  Windows
used to have serious problems if you lost a HD casually, but I can
just yank it now with no ill effects ("if I haven't used it in,
"a while").  Just flush a little more aggressively, that's all.

Some people used autofs, it seems.

Anything promising using the PCI hotplug facility?