Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 23:22 -0400, William Ballard wrote:
> I have an external USB 2.0 2.5" hard drive, shows up as /dev/sda, with
> an ReiserFS partition.  If I yank it with it mounted ReiserJS panics.
> I have the fstab entry marked as sync, rw.
>
> I don't have PCI Hotplugging installed, but I do a lot of USB
> hotplugging.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this?

I'm not surprised.  You're yanking out a *mounted* device.  That's
what the umount command is for.

ReiserFS expected it to be there, can't find it, and pukes.  A bit
(no, a lot) ungraceful, but totally understandable.  After all,
some process might be trying to write to the device...

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"I prefer the most unfair peace to the most righteous war."
Marcus T Cicero