Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 01:18:11PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> The question about PCI hotplug was very honest, since PCI hotplug
> refers to pulling PCI cards out of live systems, and that, to my
> understanding, has nothing to do with USB (which is hotplug by
> definition).

I actually think the problem lies in ReiserFS: that's the module that
Panics when you yank the drive.  The USB subsystem deals with the loss
of it just fine.  The system doesn't actually freeze: you get a panic
from the ReiserFS module (which is builtin for me), about being unable
to write to the journal.  Meanwhile all other apps continue to work just
fine -- you just cannot halt or reboot the system, it hangs the TTY
then, but you can change to another TTY and keep working.

Since this is the status quo, and the system is still responsive after
this ReiserFS panic, is it still possible to cleanly shutdown and reboot
the system in case I accidentally do it?  Right now I have to cold kill
the system without a shutdown, which tends to cause further data
corruption on my ReiserFS HD parts.

Do me a favor and if you think it's a dumb question just don't answer
instead of telling me it's a dumb or poorly asked question.  Thanks.