Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 03:23 -0400, William Ballard wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:45:48PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > ReiserFS expected it to be there, can't find it, and pukes.  A bit
> > (no, a lot) ungraceful, but totally understandable.  After all,
> > some process might be trying to write to the device...
>
> I kuh-now, I kuh-now.  But that's what the SYNC option is before.
> If I yank it within say 20 seconds of having used it, that's on me.
>
> Windows actually deals with this better than it used to.  Windows
> used to have serious problems if you lost a HD casually, but I can
> just yank it now with no ill effects ("if I haven't used it in,
> "a while").  Just flush a little more aggressively, that's all.

"sync, rw".

Did you lose any data when whined about being inappropriately
yanked.

> Some people used autofs, it seems.

There is that.

> Anything promising using the PCI hotplug facility?

Just out of curiosity, but why should *PCI* hotplug have anything
to do with USB?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both
yea and nay (and quite a few things that just have nothing at
all to do with the question)."
Unknown