Re: NFS slow/lockups

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 23:33, Tim Kelley wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:05:21PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> > Just to show its not networking problems, I have resorted to copying the
> > files via scp - even encrypted I am getting about 0.5Mb/sec
>
> That's horrible! Is this a 10Mb network or dialup or what? Surely you
> mean .5 MBytes/sec (which also isn't too hot for a 10Mbit ethernet).
>
> > Any idea whats wrong and how to improve performance?
>
> Some basic things:
>
> 1. If you have a switch, make sure it your interfaces are at full
> duplex

Its a D-Link router, but I think it autonegotiates the setting - I can't see
anyway to change it.

> 2. try mounting with the tcp option passed to mount, you can put this
> in your auto.master or at mount time or whatever.  You would need tcp
> support compiled in on the server side for this.  Look for
> "CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y" in config for your current kernel (this is only
> necessary on the linux nfs server)

Its a standard Debian kernel - but I can mount with the tcp option

> 3. make sure if your using udp that you mount with
> rsize=8192,wsize=8192.  If you are using tcp you can go to
> rsize=32768,wsize=32768

used the TCP figures - throughput (using kde konqueror to copy) shows busts of
3MB/s - but then this drops down to stalled then goes for a while at 6-8 KB/s
(ie very slowly)  It has averaged (not really measured) but 200MB in 5mins
sort of figure (minutes rounded to nearest 5 sort of accuracy).

> 4. make sure you're using nfs version 3.  nfstat will tell you, in
> fact, it may tell you a bit more about what is wrong.

Not sure here - client is debian unstable, server is debian sarge.  nfsstat
seems to list the server as two versions with all the figures shown under
version 3, the client side nfstat gives everything under version 2.  Attempts
to mount with the nfsvers=3 switch fail (with a message

mount: RPC: Program/version mismatch; low version = 1, high version = 2

).

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk