Re:

I'd add a further comment - if you want to 'play it safe', you could make
yourself a GRUB boot floppy, then check that you can use it to boot your
Linux on the second hard drive   ("D:")   _before_ you wipe your W2K install.

There are some good instructions on how to use GRUB and create a boot floppy
at

http://www.desktop-linux.net/grub.htm

Alternative instructions for boot disk creation at
http://www.linuxgeek.net/beginners/node69.html

or Google with 'Grub boot floppy'

cr