NFS slow/lockups

I am trying copy about 350Mb of files - each one about 2.8MB each - over an
nfs link.  Although I primarily trying this via drag and drop inside kde,
command line copying is also not working

With the sync option it is very slow - the dialog box can't report the copy
rate and marks it as stalled.  With the async option it goes fast until about
30MB are copied and then comes to a complete halt.

I was using the nfs-user daemon, but I have also switched over to the
nfs-kernel one.  Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Just to show its not networking problems, I have resorted to copying the files
via scp - even encrypted I am getting about 0.5Mb/sec

Any idea whats wrong and how to improve performance?
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk