Re: NFS slow/lockups

Tim Kelley writes:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:00:18AM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
Both you guys have missed my main message - the speed I was talking about was using SCP - so perhaps its also processors trying to do encrypt the message.

No, that is neglegible, unless this is a 386 or something.

Thanks - that is interesting to know

The throughput with nfs was more like 2MB every 3 or 4 minutes - something somewhere in that setup is causing me extreme grief and I don't know what. I could really do with some pointers as to why that is not working. As far as I am concerned 05.Mbytes (thats what it was) is plenty fast enough (and its a 100mbit ethernet anyway).

Have you tried what I suggested?  I have seen this before.

Not yet - I have been working in our Paris office for a couple of days - only seeing this e-mail via webmail through a firewall that prevents me using my normal ssh route in. I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Thanks anyway - some good pointers to perhaps improve throughput generally.

Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk