Re: Install/Upgrade/Use ext3 or xfs

Eric Wagar wrote:
How do I install and use ext3 or xfs filesystems
from the  initial install?  I see a lot of
documentation
on how to convert, but I'd like to get them

running

from the beginning.

Boot a Knoppix CD and do a "chroot install"

What is a "chroot install"?  You mean boot Knoppix and
then within one of its shells, to load the Debian CD's
and install?

Check out these sites:

http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-linux-upgrade
http://trilldev.sourceforge.net/files/remotedeb.html

Essentially, the chroot install allows you to install Debian
from within an already installed system.  Since the Woody
installer issuch a pain, I find it much easier to do a
chroot install if that is what I need to install.  Additionally,
Knoppix natively supports XFS, so you can make XFS partitions
and install to them.  It also lets you have a fully functional
system at your disposal while the Debian install is proceding.
I.e., you can browse the web or do other stuff.

Let me know if you need fruther clarification.

HTH,

-Roberto Sanchez