Re: NFS slow/lockups

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:05:21PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am trying copy about 350Mb of files - each one about 2.8MB each - over an
> nfs link.  Although I primarily trying this via drag and drop inside kde,
> command line copying is also not working
>
> With the sync option it is very slow - the dialog box can't report the copy
> rate and marks it as stalled.  With the async option it goes fast until about
> 30MB are copied and then comes to a complete halt.
>
> I was using the nfs-user daemon, but I have also switched over to the
> nfs-kernel one.  Doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> Just to show its not networking problems, I have resorted to copying the files
> via scp - even encrypted I am getting about 0.5Mb/sec

That's horrible! Is this a 10Mb network or dialup or what? Surely you
mean .5 MBytes/sec (which also isn't too hot for a 10Mbit ethernet).

> Any idea whats wrong and how to improve performance?

Some basic things:

1. If you have a switch, make sure it your interfaces are at full
duplex

2. try mounting with the tcp option passed to mount, you can put this
in your auto.master or at mount time or whatever.  You would need tcp
support compiled in on the server side for this.  Look for
"CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y" in config for your current kernel (this is only
necessary on the linux nfs server)

3. make sure if your using udp that you mount with
rsize=8192,wsize=8192.  If you are using tcp you can go to
rsize=32768,wsize=32768

4. make sure you're using nfs version 3.  nfstat will tell you, in
fact, it may tell you a bit more about what is wrong.

--