Re: (sid) kde3.3 - X performance]

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:34:48 +0200, Riccardo Tortorici
<riccardo.tortorici@email.it> wrote:
> Andrea Vettorello wrote:
>
> > The prelink command will "only" try to reduce loading time of programs
> > (for details look in the prelink documentation).
>
> I read the documentation and it will be sufficient to reduce te start
> time of any application (just a first goal, let's say..), unfortunately
> i didn't notice any kind of changes neither on that... :-(

Don't expect miracles, but if you time the startup of applications
should improve. Anyway, you can achieve short startup time using a
fast filesystem or tuning it for performance (like disabling the atime
update). About recompiling from sources all the applications, this
come up continuosly on MLs, but your gains usually don't justify the
time spent. The biggest chances is recompiling the libc6 and the
xfree86, but at least for the libc6 you can install the "libc6-i686"
package instead of wasting time recompiling it. =)

> > With the 2.6.x kernels be sure to check your X server is running with
> > default priority (dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common).
>
> Would it be a good idea to change it?

Is suggested to run it with priority 0 with the 2.6.x kernels,
otherwise with previous kernels (2.4.x or 2.2.x) X can run better with
little more priority (like -10).

Andrea