Re: (sid) kde3.3 - X performance]

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:53:10 +0200, Riccardo Tortorici
<riccardo.tortorici@email.it> wrote:
> You're right, I'm sorry...
> With the same hardware (an IBM Thinkpad R40e) comparing windoze XP
> performance and the debian/kde3.3 ones it results slower with debian,
> let's say less reactive to the user...
> Is there a way to optimize the performance of the graphical environment
> (i.e. high priority to X)? I can't believe XP graphical engine runs
> faster than kde!

Is because windos has the graphics rendering stuff running on kernel
space, with all the troubles they got with this choice...

> I found an answer to my question on another debian ML
> suggesting me to execute the prelink command, unfortunately there are no
> significant improvement. What I'm trying to obtain is a fully graphical

The prelink command will "only" try to reduce loading time of programs
(for details look in the prelink documentation).

> oriented workstation (no ip_forwarding, no fw rules, no servers), i've
> just recompiled the kernel (2.6.8.1) and the performance are surely
> better than before, but i need more..

With the 2.6.x kernels be sure to check your X server is running with
default priority (dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common).

Andrea