Re: (sid) kde3.3 - X performance]

On Friday 08 October 2004 13:53, Riccardo Tortorici wrote:
> You're right, I'm sorry...
> With the same hardware (an IBM Thinkpad R40e) comparing windoze XP
> performance and the debian/kde3.3 ones it results slower with debian,
> let's say less reactive to the user...
> Is there a way to optimize the performance of the graphical environment
> (i.e. high priority to X)? I can't believe XP graphical engine runs
> faster than kde!

It probably has nothing to do with KDE - its depends on your video chip driver
and whether it supports video acceleration.  This is where I suggest you
concentrate your efforts.

First area to look is have you installed debian package xlibmesa-dri - but
beyond that you will also have to check that correct driver is being used and
X is not just falling back to use the default VESA settings of your video

> I found an answer to my question on another debian ML
> suggesting me to execute the prelink command, unfortunately there are no
> significant improvement.

This is nothing to do with video performance, rather start up performance (by
prelinking libraries so it does not have to be done dynamically at the start
of each program.

As far as I am aware, the later releases of the GCC compiler do this anyway -
and therefore the standard debian packages available in SID now are as good
as it gets - which actually is pretty good compared to anything else.

> What I'm trying to obtain is a fully graphical
> oriented workstation (no ip_forwarding, no fw rules, no servers), i've

Sometimes the odd server is useful - sshd allows you to connect in when all
else fails (ie when X locks up - as it does occassionally).

> just recompiled the kernel (2.6.8.1) and the performance are surely
> better than before, but i need more..

Again - really no point in compiling your own.  The debian packages are all
available for different classes of hardware - and have all the drivers that
you need as modules.

I think you gain a lot more in general compatibility with debian, its package
update mechanisms in particular,  if you stick with the standard packages
rather than try to build your own.  I really don't think you loose anything
in performance.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk